Blue face mask ‘cooked inside McDonalds chicken nuggets’
Laura Arber, 32, claims she found parts of a blue face mask in at least two of the 20 nuggets she had bought for her children from the fast food branch in Aldershot
A furious mum claims she found face mask pieces inside chicken nuggets she bought from McDonald’s for her daughter after she started choking.
Laura Arber said she made the discovery in at least two of the 20 nuggets she had bought for her children from the fast food branch in Aldershot on Tuesday.
The 32-year-old had taken three of her four children to the McDonalds branch to pick up the order before they headed back to the family home to enjoy their meal.
She said as her kids sat down on the sofa she suddenly became aware that six-year-old Maddie was choking.
“My little daughter just started choking and I put my fingers down her throat to loop it out there was just blue with the sick,” she said.
“I thought what on earth is this?! I didn’t even think it could be the chicken nugget but looked over at the box and all you could see was this blue coming out of another chicken nugget in the box of 20.”
“And the mask is cooked into it, like a part of the mixture and it’s clearly a mask. You can see the seam and how solid it is in there.”
Laura said she called the branch and headed down there after to speak with the manager.
She said he told her that the nuggets were not cooked on site but ‘failed to apologise and stop serving nuggets’.
She said: “And the worse thing was that they carried on serving them!? Before I left I said ‘Are you going to keep serving them?’ And they were carrying on serving them and that was the big thing for me.”
“I just couldn’t believe the way the management were handling it.”
Laura posted details about her find on a Facebook group in Aldershot to warm other people.
“What if I had walked out of the room and my daughter had choked?” she said. “She could have died. It’s a split second thing.
“And I am just thinking, we have just come out of a pandemic and there is a face mask in my child’s chicken nugget!”
Laura’s son was born in intensive care and she stayed in one of the houses that McDonalds provides for families whose children are very ill in hospital
A McDonald’s spokesperson said: “We are very sorry to hear about this customer’s experience. Food safety is of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards to avoid any imperfections.
“When the matter was brought to the attention of our staff, we apologised, offered a full refund and asked the customer to return the item so we could further investigate the matter and isolate the affected product.”