A MUM is sending out a warning to fellow parents after her son was rushed to hospital following a hot tub injury that left him unconscious.
Her son had been using the hot tub when he was ‘sucked under by a filter’ and ‘could not escape’. It took three men to release him from the hot tub, with the boy being left unconscious and rushed to hospital.
Posting to Facebook, the mum warned of the ‘life-threatening’ dangers hot tubs can have, as she urged other parents to watch their kids at all times when using a hot tub, spa or pool.
Sharing pictures of her son in hospital and the visible injuries he sustained, she wrote: “Safety warning to all parents!! Please read whole story – on Sunday our son was using a hot tub when he was sucked under by a filter inlet within the tub.
“This filter outlet is covered partially but there is a large rectangular hole which takes in the water and sends it to the filter and was sucked into this outlet and could not escape.”
The mum continued: “Family were in full view and as soon as this occurred they immediately rushed to his assistance and it took 3 men to release him from the suction despite the tub being turned off straight away.”
She recalled how her son was left unconscious when he was pulled from the hot tub and required CPR before being air-lifted to hospital.
“When he was pulled out he was unconscious and cpr was started. [My son] was airlifted to hospital where he received brilliant treatment both on the journey and during his recovery where he was monitored over a period of days,” the mum said.
She assured those reading her post that her son was now “on the mend” and at home, adding: “Fortunately [my son] is now home and on the mend however had he not been rescued from the tub so quickly and the treatment been so good he may not be here today.”
Issuing a warning to fellow parents, she concluded: “If anyone has or are thinking of buying hot tubs, spas or pools please ensure they are safe to use, are checked regularly and children are being watched at all times as stated in the units user manual.
“You do not expect something that is so enjoyable to turn out to be life threatening however this can be the case.
Fortunately [my son] is now home and on the mend however had he not been rescued from the tub so quickly and the treatment been so good he may not be here today
“Please please be aware and be careful, I do not want this to happen to another family where there might be a worse outcome, please feel free to share.”
In the photos shared within the social media post, her son could be seen with cuts and severe bruising across his back, as well as on his face.
Since being posted online, the mum’s warning has racked up over 28k shares and thousands of parents commented on the post – sharing their shock over the ‘frightening’ incident.
One person commented: “Omg, bless him. Well done to all you parents who acted so swiftly and saved his life. Speedy recovery little love.”
Another said: “Who knew they could be this dangerous!”
A third wrote: “Frightening, thank god you were all there to help him.”
“Very scary so glad he was rescued in time. Get well soon,” added one more.
Another thanked the mum for sharing her post, as they commented: “Thanks for sharing , this is terrible. Wishing a speedy recovery.”