Thais support no alcohol on Buddhist holidays

9
902

Thais support no alcohol on Buddhist holidays

A majority of Thai people support the ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks on national Buddhist holidays and at venues around educational institutions, a survey has found.

The survey was carried out by the Super Poll organisation among 2,218 people from all walks of life from November 1 to 17. In the results announced on Saturday, 76.4 per cent of the respondents agreed that beer and liquor do more harm to society than good.

And 84.2 per cent of the respondents blamed drinking for road accidents, family violence, crimes, quarrels and sexual assaults. Respondents were asked to name measures for minimising problems related to drinking, and they were allowed to cite more than one measure.

Just over 77 per cent expressed support for the current ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks on national Buddhist holidays, even though Thailand is a secular country.

Almost three-quarters of respondents (73.8 per cent) supported a ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks within 300 to 500 metres of education institutions, while 70.7 per cent said there should be laws to ban government officials from receiving any kind of benefits from beer and liquor companies.

And 75.7 per cent of respondents said the laws and other measures should be enforced strictly to prevent problems related to drinking.                                            Source: Asia Nation

  • Sly

    “And 84.2 per cent of the respondents blamed drinking for road accidents, family violence, crimes, quarrels and sexual assaults.” The remaining 15.8% blame those that did it.

    • soidog

      As usual mate.

  • Marcin

    Lol its 2017 you can’t handle a drink don’t drink

    • Charles Baht Esquire.

      Most of these drug fueled fat slob English get there courage from alcohol usually in the safety of numbers in a back street cheap Charlie beer bar with underage victims .

  • Charles Baht Esquire.

    Most of these old slob English drunks wouldn’t last twenty four hours off the booze

  • amazingthailand

    Super poll organisation super corrupt as anything in wasteland. Fake figures, fake news as usual

    • popeye the sailorman

      yeah just the usual crap……all thais buy day before….then block pavements supping when their on holiday……….seen them many times beach road Jomtien

  • Ken Anderson

    What utter crap. Your average drink / drug addled hillbilly Thai man does not even know what day of the week it is, let alone know which days have a religious significance.

  • Alan Newbigging

    Pure and utter hypocrisy from at best, a dubious survey making even more dubious assertions