A 15-year-old girl was killed in a fire that engulfed the living quarters of a Protestant boarding school in Chiang Mai’s Fang district early on Wednesday.
Fang police were alerted at 1:30am to the fire at the Christian Paolo School that is run by the Evangelical Fellowship of Thailand.
Ten fire engines were dispatched to tackle the fire that was raging through the two-storey boarding house.
All but one of the 74 children escaped, many with help from the firefighters. The boarding house accommodates 28 boys and 46 girls, most of them from hill tribes.
The students told police that the fire was started by a short circuit in a ceiling fan in her room before it spread.
Police suspect that Saenghom went underneath her bed instead of running out.