Everton Host Burnley – Brutally Beaten In Their Own Back Yard Burnley Will Be Looking For Some Goodison Park Payback Against Everton! Team News. Comments. Stats & Prediction.
By: Marc Gingell
On Boxing Day the Toffees turned Burnley over 5-1 in their own back yard. That happened three days after Tottenham hit Everton for six of the best with a 6-2 home defeat. At that point, Burnley looked a good bet for relegation and Everton’s boss Marco Silva, despite the Turf Moor win, had joined the favourites in the Premier League’s next manager to be sacked sack race.
|3/5/2019||Goodison Park||Everton (9)||v||Burnley (15)|
|KO:20:00||REF: C Kavanagh|
Everton Remained Inconsistent!
For the next 11 games speculation about Silva’s future remained a constant talking point as money continued to be lumped on him to fall from the plank next!
Of those 11 games, Everton lost seven which included an embarrassing FA Cup defeat at Millwall in the fourth round 3-2 after leading 2-1 with 15 minutes to go. Everton appeared to have a soft centre!
Silva Remained In Charge
Everton’s board didn’t panic and have been rewarded with a big improvement in the last six games where Everton have won four, drawn one and lost one. Three of the wins were impressive ‘Second Tier’ scalps all at home. Chelsea 2-0, Arsenal 1-0 (but they won by a country mile) and a real 4-0 demolition job on Manchester United. They also won 2-0 at West Ham, drew 0-0 at Crystal Palace, and were surprisingly beaten 2-0 at Fulham right after confirmation of their relegation.
***Note: Premier League 2nd Tier. The four teams from 3rd to 6th who are so far behind Manchester City and Liverpool that they can no longer be referred to as top tier.***
Burnley Bounced Back
Burnley, with Sean Dyche never in any real danger of losing his job, have bounced back in 2019 and their overall form during this period would have them chasing a Europa League place. Not that they would really want another season in that competition just yet!
Manchester City Defensive Master Class
Against Manchester City last week Burnley almost completed a defensive master class with Matt Lowton, James Tarkowski, Ben Mee, and Charlie Taylor all putting their bodies on the line for the cause. They were ably backed up by keeper Tom Heaton and Lowton came so close to keeping out Sergio Agüero’s goal.
Everton Team News
- Suspended Until 12 May: André Gomes.
Burnley Team News
- Retired From Professional Football on 22/3: Jonathan Walters.
- Unknown Return Date: Steven Defour Calf injury. Aaron Lennon Knee injury.
- 75% Chance of Playing: Phil Bardsley Leg injury. Peter Crouch Abdominal injury.
- Everton have lost three of their last five Premier League meetings with Burnley (W2), as many as they had in their previous 16 top-flight games against them (W8 D5 L3).
- Burnley won this exact fixture 1-0 last season. They’ve not won back-to-back league games at Everton since a run of three between 1958 and 1960.
- None of the nine Premier League meetings between Everton and Burnley have been drawn, with the Toffees winning five to Burnley’s four.
- Everton have kept a clean sheet in seven of their last nine Premier League games, and each of their last four at Goodison Park. They last kept five consecutive home league clean sheets between March-September 2013 (7).
- Everton have lost their last eight Premier League matches when they’ve conceded at least once.
- Burnley have lost their last four Premier League games in the month of May, conceding 11 goals in the process. Their last win in the month came in 2015 against Aston Villa (1-0).
- Burnley have kept just one clean sheet in their last 11 Premier League away games – a 0-0 draw at Watford in January.
- Only against Bournemouth (4) has Burnley’s Sean Dyche won more Premier League games than he has against Everton (3).
- Everton’s Richarlison has scored 13 Premier League goals this season. Only two Brazilian players have ever scored more in a single campaign; Roberto Firmino in 2017-18 (15) and Robinho in 2008-09 (14).
- Burnley’s Ashley Barnes has scored six goals in his last nine Premier League away games, having failed to find the net in his first eight on the road this season.
If Burnley are going to get some payback they will need another superb defensive performance with a smash and grab. Maybe Dwight McNeil and Ashley Barnes can help provide that.
Everton 0 Burnley 1
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.