Pattaya One News
Home » Drive-by killers gunned down man
Crime International News

Drive-by killers gunned down man

Five men are facing life behind bars for the murder of a shop owner gunned down as he left a party.

Abdul Rahman Abubaker suffered catastrophic injuries after being blasted with a shotgun as he rode a quadbike away from the barbeque in Birmingham three years ago.

He died in hospital hours after the drive-by shooting, with the fatal shot fired from a convoy of three cars.

A lengthy investigation led to the arrests of Fahmi Daahir, Mustafa Omar, Abdirahman Dirie, Shire Elmi and Abdirahman Yusuf in August last year – and the quintet have all now been convicted at Birmingham Crown Court.

Their victim, 24, was leaving a party in Highgate to mark the start of Ramadan on May 15, 2018, before being shot.

Police remain unsure of the motive behind the killing and believe more people may have been involved.

Meanwhile, two of the cars had been set alight and destroyed within 72 hours, with the third disappearing.

Top row: Omar Elmi, Mustafa Omar, Fahmi Daahir. Bottom row: Abdirahman Yusuf and Abdirahman Dirie.
The convicted killers (top row left to right) Omar Elmi, Mustafa Omar, Fahmi Daahir, (bottom row left to right) Abdirahman Yusuf and Abdirahman Dirie may not have been the only people involved, West Midlands Police say (Picture: West Midlands Police/SWNS)

Yusuf was arrested at a London airport on arrival back from Sweden, where he had fled less than a month after the murder.

Elmi was tracked down in Glasgow and the other three were detained in Birmingham.

Officers had reviewed footage from more than 100 CCTV cameras to reveal that four cars – of which three were stolen – had initially met in Hams Road.

One car was abandoned but another, a VW Passat, was sent out on several trips to scour the area near the barbecue.

A stolen Ford Kuga, from which the fatal shot was fired, was taken back to Hams Road and set alight within six minutes of the shooting.

Abdul Rahman Abubaker.
The 24-year-old was gunned down in Highgate, Birmingham, in May 2018 (Picture: BPM Media)

Shotgun cartridges and the remnants of a fuel container were discovered in the scorched vehicle.

A taxi was ordered to pick up a group further down the road shortly afterwards.

An Audi A3, also in the convoy, was discovered in nearby Arley Road after being set alight three days after the killing.

Daahir’s sock was found in the car and he, along with Yusuf admitted arson ahead of the trial.

Police traced the group’s movements, with Daahir and Yusuf said to be within a vehicle in the convoy and Elmi and Omar in Hams Road.

Superintendent Edward Foster, of West Midlands Police, said: ‘This has been a complex investigation during which Abdul, along with his family and friends, have been at the forefront of our minds.

‘We will never probably never know the reason behind this tragic killing and who actually fired the fatal shot.

‘Undoubtedly, there were others who were part of this horrific attack but whose identities remain unknown.

‘But it’s clear this was the culmination of careful planning which involved all five of these men who have been convicted today.’

He continued: ‘They helped destroy or conceal cars while two fled the country in their attempt to avoid being caught.

‘However, due to the diligence, dedication and expertise of our officers and staff we ensured this wasn’t the case.

‘Each of them played a role in causing, or assisting, the tragic murder of Abdul and they will now rightly spend considerable time behind bars.’

Daahir, 23, of Nechells; Omar, 21, of Alum Rock; Yusuf, 23, of, Aston; Elmi, 23, of Glasgow and Dirie, 21, of Newtown, were remanded in custody.

They will be sentenced at a later date.

mret

error: If you would like to use this content, please contact us [email protected]