Liverpool Join Tottenham, Manchester United, and Manchester City in CLQF Draw. For First Time in Ten Years Four Premier League Teams Make Last Eight.
By: Marc Gingell
14th March 2019
|Allianz Arena||ATT: 68,145||FC Bayern München||1||Liverpool||3|
|REF: D Orsato||Joel Matip 39′ og||Sadio Mané 26′, 84′|
|Agg: 1-3||Virgil van Dijk 69′|
Sadio Mané is on fire right now with eight goals in his last eight Premier League Games and two more against Bayern to help ease Liverpool into the quarter-final draw. His first came after 26 minutes when he produced a bit of magic on the edge of Bayern’s penalty box. He spun past the onrushing Bayern keeper Manuel Neuer and chipped the ball in with his left foot.
On 84 minutes he wrapped things up when Mo Salah clipped a ball in with the outside of his left foot from the right and Mané headed in unchallenged.
Liverpool Defenders Play There Part!
On 39 minutes Bayern were back level thanks to an own goal by Joel Matip. Serge Gnabry broke down the right and crossed into the six-yard box. Matip, with Robert Lewandowski behind him ready to pounce, could only direct the ball into his own net.
Virgil van Dijk, back after suspension, calmed Liverpool’s nerves in the 69th minute when he headed home James Milner’s corner from the right.
Bayern Munich: Neuer (5), Rafinha (5), Sule (5), Hummels (5), Alaba (6), Thiago (5), Martinez (6), Ribery (5), Rodriguez (5), Gnabry (6), Lewandowski (5)
Subs: Coman (5), Goretzka (5), Sanches (5)
Liverpool: Alisson (6), Alexander-Arnold (7), Matip (7), Van Dijk (8), Robertson (7), Milner (7), Wijnaldum (7), Henderson (5), Mane (8), Firmino (6), Salah (6)
Subs: Fabinho (7), Lallana (5), Origi (5)
Man of the match: Sadio Mane
- Liverpool’s progression means four English sides will play in the quarter-finals of the Champions League in 2018-19, the first time the competition has seen as many since 2008-09 (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United).
- Bayern Munich have failed to qualify for the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time since the 2010-11 campaign, when they also fell out at this stage to Italian side Inter Milan.
- Since the start of last season, no player has provided more Champions League assists than Liverpool’s James Milner (10).
- Sadio Mane’s brace means he has now scored seven away goals in the Champions League for Liverpool, more than any other player for the club in the history of the competition (including European Cup).
- Liverpool forward Sadio Mane has scored 69% of his Champions League goals in the knockout stages of the competition (9/13); of players with at least 10 goals, only Ivica Olic (7/10 – 70%) has a higher such percentage in Champions League history.
- Joel Matip is only the fourth Liverpool player to score an own goal in the Champions League after Sami Hyypia (2007), John Arne Riise (2008) and James Milner (2018).
- Bayern Munich’s Manuel Neuer became just the sixth goalkeeper to play in 100 Champions League matches after Iker Casillas, Gianlugi Buffon, Petr Cech, Victor Valdes and Olivier Kahn.
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.