AN eight-year-old boy has become the sixth to die after the Waukesha parade car disaster as his suspected killer appeared in court – and police documents revealed how the “emotionless” driver allegedly zig-zagged through the crowd.
Darrell Brooks was arrested on Sunday, just moments after the 39-year-old allegedly plowed through a busy Christmas parade, leaving six people dead and injuring more than 60 others before fleeing the scene.
Jackson Sparks, 8, succumbed to his injuries Monday, per a post by a local church cited by TMJ4.
The boy had undergone brain surgery and the family was hoping for a miracle, according to a GoFundMe set up for the family.
Jackson’s 12-year-old brother Tucker is still hospitalized and recovering from a fractured skull, but is expected to recover.
“Tucker, by the grace of God is miraculously recovering from his injuries and will be being discharged home,” said the Facebook post by Life Point Church.
The other five victims have been named as Virginia Sorensen, 79, LeAnna Owen, 71, Tamara Durand, 52, Jane Kuilch, 52, and Wilhelm Hospel, 81.
According to the Waukesha medical examiner, all the victims died from blunt force trauma.
FIGHTING FOR THEIR LIFE
Jessalyn Torres, 11, is fighting for her life with a broken pelvis and lost kidney, lacerations on her lungs and remaining kidney and internal bleeding
Among the injured are also Romelia Perez and her 11-year-old daughter Camila, her husband told the New York Post
According to the criminal complaint filed against Brooks on Monday, it was clear to police officers that “this was an intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as possible.”
Darrell appeared in court for the first time on Tuesday and his bail was set at $5million.
He was reportedly fleeing the scene of a domestic violence disturbance just before the crash, investigators say.
Brooks was seen being led into court in shackles and a protective vest during the brief appearance.
At one point the suspect appeared to weep and held his head in his hands.
Brooks, who has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 1999, had been released on $1,000 bond just three weeks earlier after allegedly punching and attempting to run over his ex-girlfriend at a gas station.
Some of Brooks’ neighbors described the 39-year-old as odd, strange and suggested he must have “snapped” before allegedly carrying out the horrific parade attack.
One of Brooks’ neighbors, who asked not to be identified, told The Sun that the 39-year-old “was always a little off.”
“I didn’t know him more than ‘hi and bye’ but I remember seeing that red truck parked there,” they said.
Brooks is also a registered sex offender in Nevada, having been convicted of having consensual sex with a 15-year-old girl in 2006, with whom he had a child. For that offense, he severed three years probation.
A warrant was outstanding for his arrest in Nevada at the time of Sunday’s attack for violating the state’s sex crime laws in 2016. He allegedly skipped bail on the offense and fled the region.
Despite being detained in Wisconsin twice after that, Brooks managed to avoid being turned over to authorities in Nevada and obtained freedom on both occasions.