Southampton v Liverpool Friday Night Preview: Back On Form Saints To Put A Dent In Liverpool ‘s Premier League Title Hopes – Comments. Team News. Stats.
By: Marc Gingell
|St. Mary’s Stadium||REF: P Tierney|
21st October 1989
When Liverpool last won the top tier of English football, during the 1989/90 Season, Southampton crushed Liverpool 4-1 at the old Dell. Paul Rideout, Rodney Wallace (2), and Matt Le-Tissier scored for Southampton whilst Peter Beardsley replied for Liverpool with a penalty. Aston Villa came runners up with Tottenham and Arsenal in third and fourth. Manchester United were down in 13th with rivals City in 14th. Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton, and Millwall were relegated. Southampton finished 7th.
20 Years Later
Now, nearly 20 years later, Liverpool are fighting tooth and nail for the title with the immaculate Manchester City who are still on target for a quadruple. City, purring and in cruise control, are favourites for the Premier League, Champions League, and FA Cup. Liverpool are more nervy, edgy, and in the case Mo Salah quite erratic.
Names On The Trophy!
City might be favourites for the title but there are clear signs that Liverpool’s name is on the trophy:
- 1. The dramatic last gasp win at home to Everton.
- 2. Same as above but change Everton to Spurs
- 3. Mo Salah has not scored in six Premier League games but Liverpool are still up there and he has to start firing soon.
Plus of course the ‘Lady of the Pattaya Premier League Crystal Ball’ has spoken!
Southampton (16) vs Liverpool (2)
Southampton have bounced back well since their last-minute disaster when Cardiff beat them 2-1 at home. After a few team tweaks, it’s three wins out of four, and they put up a very good performance at Old Trafford and were lucky not to get anything out of that game. For Liverpool Mo Salah is due a goal.
Southampton Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Michael Obafemi Hamstring injury.
- Expected Back 13 Apr: Danny Ings ineligible to face his parent club Liverpool on 5/4 as part of his loan conditions.
- 75% Chance of Playing: Mario Lemina Abdominal injury. Jannik Vestergaard Groin Injury. Shane Long Groin injury.
Liverpool Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Joseph Gomez Lack of match fitness. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Lack of match fitness.
Ralph Hasenhuttl v Jürgen Klopp
Similarities have been drawn between the two managers but Hasenhuttl has yet to reach the same emotional touchline levels as Klopp! Maybe tonight!
- Southampton are winless in their last five Premier League meetings with Liverpool (D2 L3), failing to score each time.
- Liverpool have won their last three Premier League games against Southampton – they’ve never won four in a row against Saints in their league history.
- Southampton have won five of their 10 Premier League games against Liverpool at St Mary’s – they’ve only beaten Everton more often at the ground in the competition (6).
- This will be Southampton’s first top-flight home game on a Friday since December 1991 (1-1 vs Notts County) with all five of their such games in the Premier League coming away from home (W1 D2 L2).
Liverpool have won five of their last six Premier League games on a Friday (D1) since a 2-4 loss at Arsenal in April 2004.
- Southampton are looking to win three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since May 2016 (a run of four).
Mo Salah can finally get back on track but somehow, even without Danny Ings, Saints to find a ways to score one goal more.
Southampton 3 – 2 Liverpool
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.