All the dates for the Premier League, FA Cup, Carabao Cup, Champions League and Europa League this coming 2020-21 season
The calendar for the 2020-21 football season is taking shape after the Premier League released the provisional dates for the upcoming campaign.
It is set to be a season like no other, starting later than originally planned due to the coronavirus pandemic, but still finishing by the end of May.
That is because of the major international tournaments coming up next summer, with the European Championships and Copa America capping off an exhausting campaign.
We have got all the key dates below, plus a scenario which calculates just how many matches Tottenham’s Harry Kane could play before “Euro 2020” starts on 11 June 2021.
When will the Premier League release fixtures?
The full fixture list will be released no later than 21 August, the Premier League have confirmed, with the first round of matches set to take place on the weekend of 12-13 September, and the final day on 23 May next year.
How the cup competitions are changing
To cope with the shortened season, the opening four rounds of the Carabao Cup will all take place in September, while the semi-finals will be one leg, not the usual two-legged affairs.
The FA Cup meanwhile have scrapped replays for this campaign.
Meanwhile, the Champions League and Europa League group stages have been pushed back to an October start, although both Uefa competitions are planning for home and away knockout rounds as normal.
What about internationals?
Don’t forget the Nations League, the Uefa tournament which looks to add a competitive edge to the international break. This year the six group stage matches will be taking place on September 3/4/5 and 6/7/8; October 10/11 and 13/14; November 14/15 and 17/18.
That means Premier League managers will be without some players in the week building up to the opening round of the domestic season.
Key dates for the 2020/21 season
Premier League 2020/21 matchweek dates
- Matchweek 1: Saturday 12 September
- Matchweek 2: Saturday 19 September
- Matchweek 3: Saturday 26 September
- Matchweek 4: Saturday 3 October
- Matchweek 5: Saturday 17 October
- Matchweek 6: Saturday 24 October
- Matchweek 7: Saturday 31 October
- Matchweek 8: Saturday 7 November
- Matchweek 9: Saturday 21 November
- Matchweek 10: Saturday 28 November
- Matchweek 11: Saturday 5 December
- Matchweek 12: Saturday 12 December
- Matchweek 13: Wednesday 16 December
- Matchweek 14: Saturday 19 December
- Matchweek 15: Saturday 26 December
- Matchweek 16: Monday 28 December
- Matchweek 17: Saturday 2 January
- Matchweek 18a: Wednesday 13 January
- Matchweek 19: Saturday 16 January
- Matchweek 18b: Wednesday 20 January
- Matchweek 20: Saturday 23 January
- Matchweek 21: Saturday 30 January
- Matchweek 22: Wednesday 3 February
- Matchweek 23: Saturday 6 February
- Matchweek 24: Saturday 13 February
- Matchweek 25: Saturday 20 February
- Matchweek 26: Saturday 27 February
- Matchweek 27: Saturday 6 March
- Matchweek 28: Saturday 13 March
- Matchweek 29: Saturday 20 March
- Matchweek 30: Saturday 3 April
- Matchweek 31: Saturday 10 April
- Matchweek 32: Saturday 17 April
- Matchweek 33: Saturday 24 April
- Matchweek 34: Saturday 1 May
- Matchweek 35: Saturday 8 May
- Matchweek 36: Wednesday 12 May
- Matchweek 37: Saturday 15 May
- Matchweek 38: Sunday 23 May
FA Cup 2020/21 dates
- First round: Saturday 7 November
- Second round: Saturday 28 November
- Third round: Saturday 9 January
- Fourth round: Saturday 23 January
- Fifth round: Wednesday 10 February
- Quarter-finals: Saturday 20 March
- Semi-finals: Saturday 17 April
- The Final: Saturday 15 May
Carabao Cup 2020/21 dates
- Round One: 5 September
- Round Two: 15/16 September
- Round Three: 22/23 September
- Round Four: 29/30 September
- Round Five: 22/23 December
- Semi-Finals: 5/6 January
- Final: 28 February
Champions League 2020/21 dates
Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United are all entering at the group stage. The qualifying rounds take place in August and September, with the group stage draw set for October 1 in Athens. From then:
- Group stage, Matchday 1: 20/21 October
- Group stage, Matchday 2: 27/28 October
- Group stage, Matchday 3: 3/4 November
- Group stage, Matchday 4: 24/25 November
- Group stage, Matchday 5: 1/2 December
- Group stage, Matchday 6: 8/9 December
- Round of 16, first leg: 16/17/23/24 February
- Round of 16, second leg: 9/10/16/17 March
- Quarter-finals, first leg: 6/7 April
- Quarter-finals, second leg: 13/14 April
- Semi-finals, first leg: 27/28 April
- Semi-finals, second leg: 4/5 May
- Final: 29 May (Atatürk Olympic Stadium, Turkey)
Europa League 2020/21 dates
Arsenal and Leicester enter the group stages, while Tottenham’s campaign starts on 17 September with the second qualifying round. Spurs must navigate their way through that, then the third qualifying round on 24 September and play-offs on 1 October to reach the groups.
- Group stage, Matchday 1: 22 October
- Group stage, Matchday 2: 29 October
- Group stage, Matchday 3: 5 November
- Group stage, Matchday 4: 26 November
- Group stage, Matchday 5: 3 December
- Group stage, Matchday 6: 10 December
- Round of 32 first leg/second leg: 18/25 February
- Round of 16 first leg/second leg: 11/18 March
- Quarter-finals first leg/second leg: 8/15 April
- Semi-finals first leg/second leg: 29 April/6 May
- Final: 26 May (Stadion Energa Gdansk, Poland)