Newcastle United And Southampton To Move Closer To Their 40 Point Safety Targets – But They Could Still Have Work To Do! Team News. Manager Comments. Stats, And Prediction.
By: Marc Gingell
Both teams enjoyed good wins last week against teams battling for a Europa League place but they still need points in their relegation battles.
|20-04||St. James’ Park||Newcastle United (15)||v||Southampton (16)|
|KO:17:30||REF: A Taylor|
Born in Asunción, Paraguay, Newcastle’s believed to be £21 million record signing Miguel Almirón has yet to score in 10 Premier League appearances. But the smiling 25 year old has two assists and has shown that he should have what it takes to be a success in the Premier League.
Shane Long – Two From Two!
Shane Long might not start today but, if he comes on and scores, it will be three from three for Southampton’s 32 year old Gortnahoe, Ireland born striker. Long has not been the most prolific in front of goal during the last couple of seasons but Southampton fans always appreciate the effort he puts in. Three from three would be a nice touch for Long.
Newcastle United Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Florian Lejeune Knee injury. Sean Longstaff Knee injury.
Southampton Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Michael Obafemi Hamstring injury
- 75% Chance of Playing: Alex McCarthy Muscle injury. Jannik Vestergaard Muscle injury. Matt Targett Muscle injury. Mario Lemina Lack of match fitness. Charlie Austin Shoulder injury.
- Only at home to Spurs (12), Everton (13) and Aston Villa (14) have Newcastle won more Premier League games at St. James’ Park than they have against Southampton (11).
- Southampton have only lost one of their most recent nine Premier League games with Newcastle (W4 D4).
- Newcastle have only lost one of their last 13 Premier League home games against Southampton (W9 D3), losing 1-2 in January 2015.
- Newcastle’s defeat against Crystal Palace in their last home match ended a run of five consecutive victories at St James’ Park. They last lost consecutive home league games in December (vs West Ham and Wolves).
- Southampton have won four of their last six Premier League games (L2), as many as they had in their previous 23 in the competition (W4 D8 L11).
- Southampton are looking to secure consecutive away wins in the Premier League for the first time since March 2017, having won at Brighton in their last game on the road.
- 70% of Newcastle’s Premier League victories this season have been by a one-goal margin (7/10) – only Brighton have won a higher percentage of their Premier League games by one goal this term.
- Southampton have won as many Premier League games in 18 matches manager Ralph Hasenhüttl (W8 D3 L7) as they had in 52 games under their last two permanent managers combined (Mark Hughes and Mauricio Pellegrino; W8 D21 L23).
- Ayoze Pérez has been involved in five goals in his last six home league games for Newcastle, scoring four and assisting another.
- Southampton striker Shane Long has scored in his last two Premier League games – he’s never scored in three in a row in the competition before.
Two team, anxious for points to reach the 40 point target, might have to settle for a point each.
Newcastle United 2 Southampton 2
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.