Pattaya One News
Home » Mum, 39, ordered to pay teen daughter, 19, £500 after breaking her nose
Crime International News

Mum, 39, ordered to pay teen daughter, 19, £500 after breaking her nose

A MUM has been ordered to pay her teenage daughter £500 in damages after she broke the 19-year-old’s nose in a family row over an Anthony Joshua boxing match.

Theresa Carroll, 39, was banned from contacting her daughter Chantelle Carroll, 19, after grabbing her by the hair and punching her in the face when the teen objected to her inviting friends round to watch the bout around Christmas last year.

The row unfolded when the country was living under strict Covid rules with the mum and daughter living in Bollington, Cheshire, which was under Tier 2 restrictions that meant no indoor mixing.

At Stockport magistrates, mother-of-three Carroll admitted common assault and and was issued with a restraining order banning her from contacting her daughter for a year.

Mum Carroll was issued with a restraining order banning her from contacting her daughter for a year
Mum Carroll Credit: Cavendish Press

The court heard the mum had invited friends round to watch heavyweight champion Joshua defeat Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev by a knockout to defend his IBF, WBA and WBO belts on December 12.

But daughter Chantelle had been working all day at a hotel and was said to be angry as she wanted the “house to herself.”

Nick Smart prosecuting said: “There was an argument, the defendant said she was having friends over to watch the boxing.

“She said it was her house and she would do as she pleased but she then grabbed her daughter by the hair and struck her in the face. She then left the house. Chantelle was taken to A&E where it became apparent that she had broken her nose.”

The mum had claimed to police in an interview her daughter had been aggressive and had tried to grab a phone when she grabbed her hair and pulled the teen to the floor.

The court heard a mobile phone recording heard the mum shout ‘get out of my house’.

The teenager who is currently studying sports science at Nottingham Trent University was later treated for her broken nose at A&E in Macclesfield General Hospital.

It’s understood that she has not spoken to her mother since the attack about a year ago.

Daughter Chantelle was pulled to the floor when she tried to grab the mobile phone off her mum
Daughter Chantelle Credit: Cavendish Press

“VERY AGGRESSIVE”

Defence lawyer Peter Casson told JPs a “red mist” had descended on the mum after the pair argued.

He said: “She had picked her daughter up from work and it soon became an issue. The daughter became very aggressive, saying she had been working all day and wanted the house to herself. That was a catalyst to what took place.”

But she tried to reconcile saying she still had Christmas presents to give her from last year, Mr Casson added.

“She would just like the relationship with her daughter to resume. She wants to have her home for Christmas. She has presents to give her from last Christmas, her birthday and for this Christmas.

“But unfortunately it seems this is not going to happen. She is still the mother to that young girl. She still cares about her daughter.’

“She regrets it and is mortified that she found herself in that position. She has three children, two of which are at university and the other is a 12-year-old boy. The relationship between herself and Chantelle has been difficult. She said she was difficult as a child and would often be absent from school but she stood by her.

The lawyer went on: “On this day, it was not her intention to have a fight with her. She was looking forward to having some friends around in the evening and everything would have been okay but her daughter had different ideas. It was a reckless act and she lost the plot in that moment of madness. Her daughter seemed to be taking over her house.

“She did not want to put her daughter through a trial so pleaded guilty but her daughter does not want anymore contact with her. She says her daughter is welcome whenever she wants to come back. This is a one off incident.”

Carroll was also ordered to complete a 12-month community order and ordered to complete 120 hours unpaid work plus 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days. She will also have to pay £180 in costs and surcharges.

JP Dominic Stone told her: “You were provoked and we do not believe this was premeditated. You have also now lost your good character and you have shown remorse. However this was not your finest hour. Regardless of what went on before, you broke your daughter’s nose.”

The row occurred last year after Carroll had invited friends round to watch heavyweight champion Joshua defeat Kubrat Pulev
Joshua
error: If you would like to use this content, please contact us [email protected]