Manchester United Lose Third Home Champions League Knockout Game In A Row For The First Time! Match Highlights. Comments. Player Ratings & Stats.
By Marc Gingell
Manchester United Unwanted Triple
Luke Shaw’s own goal handed Barcelona a first leg edge as Barca, joined Sevilla and PSG, to make it an unwanted Old Trafford Champions League knockout stage third consecutive defeat in a row!
|10/4/2019||Old Trafford||Manchester United||0-1||Barcelona|
|KO: 20:00||ATT: 74,093||Luke Shaw OG 12′|
|REF: G Rocchi|
Unwanted Triple Breakdown
- 13th Mar 2018: Manchester United 1 – 2 Sevilla (Last 16). With the first leg drawn 0-0 United went out of the competition.
- 12th Feb 2019: Manchester United 0 – 2 PSG (Last 16). United stormed back in the second leg 3-1 to win on away goals.
- 10th Apr 2019: Manchester United 0 – 1 Barcelona (Quarter Final). United need another extra special performance at the Nou Camp Stadium next week.
United Top Champions League OG Table!
On 12 minutes Lionel Messi picked the ball up inside the United box on the left side. He clipped a delicate chip to the back post where Luis Suarez climbed highest and directed a header across United’s six-yard box. Shaw, trying to get out of the way more than anything else, could only deflect the ball into his own net. If he’d have missed it Philippe Coutinho would have an easy chance to head in.
United, with eight Champions League own goals, now top that particular table!
Diogo Dalot Missed Header
On 40 minutes Diogo Dalot had a great chance to equalise for United when he found himself with time and space four yards from goal to meet Marcus Rashford’s cross. Unfortunately, his header went closer to hitting the corner flag than bulging the net. That came after David de Gea produced a good save from Coutinho to keep United in the game.
No Shots On Target – First Time Since 2005
In March 2005 United lost at the San Siro Stadium to AC Milan when Hernan Crespo scored with a 61st minute header that looped passed United keeper Tim Howard. In that game United, as they’ve just done against Barcelona, failed to register a shot on target. Cristiano Ronaldo, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, and Ruud Van Nistelrooy all miss fired for United that day as United went out of the competition 2-0 on aggregate.
United now need another away day special performance next week. Plus shots on target.
Man Utd: De Gea (7), Young (4), Smalling (7), Lindelof (6), Shaw (6), Dalot (7), McTominay (7), Fred (6), Pogba (6), Lukaku (4), Rashford (6).
Subs: Lingard (n/a), Martial (6).
Barcelona: Ter Stegen (7), Semedo (8), Pique (8), Lenglet (5), Alba (7), Busquets (6), Rakitic (7), Arthur (6), Suarez (7), Coutinho (6), Messi (7).
Subs: Vidal (5), S. Roberto (6), Alena (n/a).
Man of the Match: Gerard Pique
• Manchester United have lost three consecutive home Champions League knockout stage games for the first time.
• This was Barcelona’s fourth Champions League victory against Manchester United, with each one coming in a different stadium (Camp Nou, Stadio Olimpico, Wembley and Old Trafford).
• Manchester United have lost four of their last six Champions League home games, as many as they had in their previous 71 at Old Trafford in the competition (W51 D16 L4).
• Manchester United failed to have a single shot on target in a Champions League game for the first time since March 2005, in a 0-1 loss at AC Milan.
• Barcelona have won five of their last seven away games against English opponents in the Champions League (D1 L1), as many as they had in their first 17 such games in the competition (W5 D5 L7).
• Luke Shaw’s own goal was the eighth Manchester United have scored in the Champions League – no side has netted more in the history of the competition.
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.