Emirates FA Cup Magic Is Back: It’s Quarter-Final Weekend With Both Manchester United and Manchester City Looking At An FA Cup & Champions League Double Final!
By Marc Gingell
|16.03. 12:15||Vicarage Road||REF: K Friend||Watford||v||Crystal Palace|
|16.03. 17:20||Liberty Stadium||REF: A Marriner||Swansea||v||Man City|
|16.03. 19:55||Molineux Stadium||REF: M Atkinson||Wolves||v||Man Utd|
Watford v Crystal Palace
Two teams who haven’t conceded in the FA Cup come face to face today with Watford having beaten Crystal Palace twice this season. Both games ended 2-1. In terms of away form Crystal Palace are far better on the road than they are at home. In the away league table Palace are 6th.
Watford have won half of their 14 home league games, drawn two and lost five. Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Bournemouth, and Chelsea have all won at Vicarage Road.
Watford Team News
Watford have no injuries or suspensions.
Crystal Palace Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Mamadou Sakho Knee injury.
- 75% chance of Playing: Bakary Sako Lack of match fitness.
- Watford and Crystal Palace have played each other seven times in the FA Cup, most recently in the semi-final in 2015-16, a 2-1 win for Palace.
- Watford have progressed from their last three FA Cup quarter-final ties, winning in 2002-03, 2006-07 and 2015-16.
- All four teams to eliminate Watford in an FA Cup quarter-final have gone on to reach the final, with three winning the cup – Newcastle in 1932, Liverpool in 1986 and Wimbledon in 1988; the other was Arsenal in 1980, who lost to West Ham.
- This is Crystal Palace’s eighth FA Cup quarter-final, progressing from four of their previous seven; however, they’ve been eliminated from both quarter-final ties against top flight opposition, losing to Everton in 1906-07 and Leeds United in 1964-65.
- Neither Watford nor Crystal Palace have conceded a single goal in this season’s FA Cup, with Palace facing twice as many shots (42) as Watford (21).
- Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson has lost both of his FA Cup quarter-finals as a manager, losing with Fulham in 2008-09 and 2009-10 against Man Utd and Tottenham respectively.
- Crystal Palace striker Michy Batshuayi has scored in all three of his previous appearances against Watford, scoring four goals, all in Premier League games while at Chelsea.
Crystal Palace are very good on the road and could manage an upset with their firepower.
Watford 1 Crystal Palace 3
Swansea v Manchester City
Last week Swansea’s Kosovan international Bersant Celina missed the best penalty ever missed. To get him over that career blip what if this game went to penalties and he scored the winner!
Swansea Team News
- Kyle Naughton has a groin injury and will face a late fitness test.
- Cameron Carter-Vickers is expected to be fit.
- Oli McBurnie. Is unlikely to feature as he recovers from illness.
With McBurnie, unlikely to play, Bersant Celina might still be on penalties!
Manchester City Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Claudio Bravo Achilles injury.
- 75% Chance of Playing: John Stones Groin Injury. Benjamin Mendy Knee injury. Vincent Kompany Muscle injury. Fernandinho Muscle injury. Kevin De Bruyne Hamstring injury.
- This is the first ever FA Cup meeting between Swansea and Man City – the Swans are winless in their last 13 games against the Citizens in all competitions (W0 D2 L11).
- Manchester City have progressed from three of their last four FA Cup quarter-finals (2010-11, 2012-13 and 2016-17), with their only defeat in this time coming against Championship opposition in 2013-14, when they lost 1-2 to Wigan Athletic.
- Swansea City have been eliminated in six of their last seven FA Cup ties against Premier League opponents, winning the other in January 2014 away at Manchester United.
- Manchester City have scored at least four goals in each of their three FA Cup games this season – the last team to so in four in a row were also Man City, during the 1925-26 season.
- Swansea are looking to reach the FA Cup semi-final for just a third time, also doing so in 1925-26 and 1963-64.
- Manchester City could become just the second team to win two away FA Cup matches in Wales in a single season, having already won at Newport County – Norwich City beat Rhyl and Newport in the 1950-51 campaign.
- Man City’s Phil Foden has scored five goals and assisted one in five domestic cup appearances against non-Premier League opposition this season.
- Gabriel Jesus has been involved in 10 goals in six domestic cup starts this season for Man City (7 goals, 3 assists); the Brazilian has scored three goals in two previous appearances against opponents Swansea.
City to manage one more than they did at Newport.
Swansea 0 Manchester City 5
Wolves v Manchester United
Wolves have been my dark horse to win the cup since before they beat Liverpool in the third round and nothing has changed. Strong at the back, potential quality goals from midfield, and an inform striker who defends from the front.
Wolves Team News
No injury or suspension problems as Ryan Bennett, in the middle of a Premier League suspension, is available. A usual for the FA Cup John Ruddy takes over in goal.
Manchester United Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Antonio Valencia Knock.
- Expected Back 21 Apr: Alexis Sánchez Knee injury
- 50% Chance of Playing: Matteo Darmian Knock. Juan Mata Hamstring injury.
- 75% Chance of Playing: Jesse Lingard Hamstring injury. Ander Herrera Hamstring injury. Romelu Lukaku Foot injury.
- Wolves and Manchester United last met in the FA Cup in the fourth round in 2005-06, with the Red Devils winning 3-0 at Molineux.
- This is the 100th meeting between Wolves and Man Utd in all competitions. Their last encounter at Molineux came in March 2012 in the Premier League, a 5-0 victory for United.
- Wolves haven’t reached the semi-final of the FA Cup since 1997-98, when they beat Leeds United at Elland Road in that season’s quarter-final.
- Manchester United are looking to reach the FA Cup semi-final in consecutive seasons for the first time since doing so in 2003-04 and 2004-05 under Sir Alex Ferguson.
- Wolves haven’t won three consecutive FA Cup matches since February 2003.
- Manchester United have won nine of their last 10 away FA Cup matches, losing the other in quarter-final in 2016-17 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
- Man Utd manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has a 100% away win record in the FA Cup, winning twice away from home with Cardiff City in 2013-14 and twice this season with the Red Devils.
- Wolves defender Matt Doherty has been involved in more FA Cup goals than any other player among the teams left in the competition (5, 3 goals, 2 assists).
Wolves to continue their march to Wembley with lone striker Raúl Jiménez the difference between the two sides.
Wolves 1 Manchester United 0
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.