Police say a person suspected of killing eight people and injuring several others near Frankfurt in Germany has been found dead in his home.
A police tweet early on Thursday (local time) that officers found the dead suspect and another body at the same address in the city of Hanau, where the shooting occurred. No details were released on the other person.
Police gave no details of the suspected gunman or how he died, but said “there are currently no indications of further perpetrators.”
Earlier, police said that eight people were killed and around five wounded.
But news agency dpa later reported that police were saying the death toll had risen to nine.
Local media said the first shooting took place at a shisha bar in Hanau’s CBD on Wednesday evening. Three people were killed.
The perpetrators then reportedly drove to the suburb of Kesselstadt and killed another five people at another shisha bar.
Police had earlier said special units were hunting the perpetrators, who fled the scene of the first attack in a dark-coloured car.
Heavily armed police sealed off streets, while a police helicopter hovered over the city.
A car covered in thermal foil also could be seen, with shattered glass next to it. Forensic experts in white overalls were collecting evidence from the scene.
A short police statement gave no information on the victims and did not give a motive for the attacks.
Hanau, east of Frankfurt, has a population of 100,000.
Katja Leikert, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s centre-right party who represents Hanau in the German parliament, tweeted that it was “a real horror scenario for us all.”