Public health officials and police in this eastern province on Monday launched a fact-finding investigation into a food outlet in Ban Pho district after several people fell sick and one died from what was suspected to be food poisoning.
The probe into the dumpling-making outlet in tambon Koh Rai came after a food vendor identified only as Mint reported to police at Ban Pho station and gave details about her supplier.
Local police said about 20 people were rushed to various hospitals with symptoms of food poisoning on May 8 with many of them saying they ate dumplings bought from a street vendor that day. A 66-year-old woman reportedly died due to complications.
Speaking at the press conference held by Chachoengsao police, Ms Mint said she sold other food and snacks and received the dumplings from her long-time supplier in tambon Koh Rai.
She usually sold the food in front of Wat Theparat in Ban Pho district in the morning and if there were some left she would take her cart to residential communities.
Police said yesterday an investigation is under way into the food outlet and samples will be collected for testing.
At Wat Nong Prue in Samut Prakan’s Bang Phlee district, the husband of the deceased said everyone in the family who ate the dumplings fell sick that night and went to the local hospital where they were given medication and sent home.
The daughter said yesterday her mother collapsed in the morning of May 9 and had died before the paramedics arrived at their home.