Burnley In Top Six Form Since The Start of 2019 – Ride There Luck Against Cardiff Who Are Battling For Survival Against All The Odds! Manager Comments, Player Ratings, and Stats.
By: Marc Gingell
Cardiff Penalty Shouts
The Premier League is in the final few weeks of, ‘All Bad Decisions Even Themselves Out Over The Course Of A Season, but Cardiff seem to be suffering right now. They had three good penalty shouts that all could have been given. Referee Mike Dean even pointed to the spot for one of them but then changed his mind.
|13/4/2019||Turf Moor||Burnley||2-0||Cardiff City|
|KO:15:00||ATT: 21,480||Chris Wood 31′, 90+2′|
|REF: M Dean|
Neil Warnock Lost For Words
Neil Warnock even said he was lost for words but he might have been trying to avoid another meeting with the FA to explain his actions.
Chris Wood Close To A Match Ball
Chris Wood scored both Burnley goals and hit the post with a header before his first which came from an in-swinging Dwight McNeil corner on Burnley’s right. Wood headed in, from inside Cardiff’s six-yard box, unchallenged. His second came in the 90+ 2nd minute set up by McNeil’s good work on the left. McNeil’s eventual cross, took a couple of deflections before the ball looped up for Wood to finish right on the goal line.
Cardiff Won’t Go Down Without a Fight
Cardiff deserved more from this game as they did when they hosted Chelsea. Warnock has got them fighting and, if Brighton don’t start applying themselves in the same way very soon, the two teams will trade places and Brighton will be in the Championship next season.
Burnley: Heaton (6), Lowton (6), Tarkowski (6), Mee (6), Taylor (6), Hendrick (6), Cork (6), Westwood (6), McNeil (8), Wood (9), Barnes (7)
Cardiff: Etheridge (8), Peltier (4), Morrison (6), Manga (5), Bennett (5), Gunnarsson (5), Arter (6), Camarasa (6), Hoilett (6), J Murphy (6), Zohore (7)
Subs: Mendez-Laing (6), Niasse (N/A), Reid (N/A)
Man of the match: Chris Wood
Sean Dyche Comments
“A massive result. A lot of noise about this game but going into it with two big wins then going on this run, 27 points from 15 games, is an unbelievable return.
“We made hard work of it because in the first half I thought we should have been out of sight.”
- Burnley have won three consecutive top-flight games by a margin of two goals for the first time since October 1968 (a run of four).
- Cardiff have lost six of their last seven Premier League games (W1) after losing just three of the eight before that.
- Burnley have scored in 12 consecutive home league games for the first time since November 2013 (12 in total in that run).
- Cardiff have lost consecutive matches against Burnley for the first time since the 1999-00 campaign in the third tier.
- Burnley manager Sean Dyce has never lost against Neil Warnock, winning five of his six matches against the Cardiff boss (D1).
- Since the start of last season, Chris Wood has scored more Premier League goals for Burnley than any other player (20).
- Burnley’s Chris Wood has been directly involved in four goals in his last two Premier League games (3 goals, 1 assist), as many as he managed in his previous 11.
- No player has been involved in more Premier League goals this season as a teenager than Burnley’s Dwight McNeil (8 – 3 goals and 5 assists, level with Ryan Sessegnon).
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.