Pattaya One News
Home » “Zero” survival’ among 37 trapped in fire
Breaking News International

“Zero” survival’ among 37 trapped in fire

“Zero” survival’ among 37 trapped in fire

Davao, Philippines – Officials have declared “zero survival” among individuals trapped in the fire that hit NCCC Mall here on Saturday.

At least 37 people, including call centre staff from an American firm, are believed to have perished in a fire that tore through a shopping mall in the southern Philippine city of Davao, local authorities said on Sunday. President Rodrigo Duterte broke the sad news to relatives of the 37 missing persons (not 28 as reported earlier) who were anxiously waiting for news across the ill-fated mall around 2:30 a.m.

“Let us pray for them,” said Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, who accompanied his father and sister, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio. Most of the victims were workers of BPO firm SSI, which held office at the uppermost floor of the mall.

President Duterte, himself a Davao native, visited distraught relatives outside the burning building overnight but told them there was “zero” chance their loved ones had survived. Firemen found one body as the blaze was brought under control Sunday, Davao Mayor Sara Duterte, the president’s daughter, told reporters.

Firemen have concluded that all those trapped in the building are dead, she said, adding: “They assessed that no one would survive in that heat and with that thick, black smoke.” The deadly fire adds fresh misery for the mainly Catholic Philippines at Christmas as the death toll from a tropical storm that hit the south on Friday topped 200 and displaced tens of thousands of others.

The blaze started at the four-storey NCCC Mall on Saturday morning sending thick plumes of black smoke billowing into the sky over Davao. With low wages but strong English language skills, the Philippines is a popular destination for international companies to set up customer call centres. The mall’s top floor housed a 24-hour call centre for US multinational SSI, a market research company. Jimmy Quimsing, a retired seaman, was one of the relatives desperately waiting for news.

His 25-year-old son Jim Benedict worked at the call centre and had not been in contact since the fire broke out. Quimsing said he spoke to President Duterte and had been told to prepare for the worst.

“He told us zero, no one would survive under these circumstances.”

Duterte’s special assistant Christopher confirmed. Paolo Duterte, the president’s son and the vice mayor of Davao, also wrote on Facebook that fire officials had told him there was “zero” chance of anyone trapped surviving the blaze.  Source: Asia Nation

 

 


%d bloggers like this: