Safehouse Busting Addiction and Its Myths
The purpose of our podcast is to help families learn the truth about addiction and alcoholism so that they can take the right action to help the addict they love and to help themselves at this critical time in their lives.
Exposing the truth about addiction and alcoholism also requires that we bust the myths surrounding both addiction/alcoholism and the recovery process.
What’s love got to do with it?
Season 1 – Episode 3
In this episode, we reveal that addiction must be treated as the primary disorder, that families need to retain a trained professional, and that the addict’s crazy decisions are made by a damaged brain. Does that get your attention?
We cover these topics:
- Addiction must be treated as the primary disorder, as the cause of mental and behavioural problems, and not as the result.
- Addicts/alcoholics, when they aren’t ready to quit, are very slick and will do anything to protect their ability to use or drink, including lie to professionals.
- If you decide to seek professional help, find a professional who is trained in addictive disorder…someone who is an AODA (Alcohol or Drug Addiction) psychiatrist or counsellor.
- You’ll no longer be puzzled by the irrational, unpredictable and irresponsible behaviour of your addict when you realised that he or she is operating with a damaged brain which is simply incapable of making good decisions.
- It will lighten the emotional burden of family and loved ones of an addict to know that they didn’t cause the addiction, they can’t control it, and they can’t cure it. That leaves them with more realistic options, such as seeking professional help and educating themselves on the disease.