West Ham United Looking For A Double Against The Premier League’s Most Generous Saints! Team News. Manager Comments. Stats, And Prediction.
By: Marc Gingell
Back in late December West Ham went to St. Mary’s and came away with three points thanks to two goals from Felipe Anderson after going behind to a 50th minute goal from Nathan Redmond. Southampton, as they have done so many times this season, gave up a winning position.
|4/5/2019||London Stadium||West Ham United (11)||v||Southampton (16)|
|KO:15:00||REF: S Attwell|
West Ham Looking To Build On Tottenham Stadium Win
After struggling the beat Huddersfield, 4-3 at the London Stadium, West Ham lost their next three Premier League game before securing a 2-2 draw at home to Leicester and then becoming the first Premier League club to win at Tottenham’s new stadium.
Pressure Off Southampton
For Southampton, now certain of another season in the Premier League, the pressure is off and they can relax as they plan for next season. But they still have to defend which they haven’t done that well this season.
West Ham United Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Winston Reid Lack of match fitness. Andriy Yarmolenko Achilles injury. Andy Carroll Ankle injury.
Southampton Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Michael Obafemi Hamstring injury. Jannik Vestergaard Muscle injury. Maya Yoshida Illness.
- West Ham are looking to do the Premier League double over Southampton for the first time since the 2000-01 campaign, following their 2-1 win at St Mary’s earlier this season.
- Southampton have lost three of their last four Premier League meetings with West Ham (W1), as many as they had in their previous 12 against them (W5 D4 L3).
- None of the last 15 Premier League meetings between West Ham and Southampton in London have been drawn, with West Ham winning 11 to Southampton’s four.
- West Ham have come from behind to win in seven different Premier League games against Southampton, more than they have versus any other side. T
- West Ham have won just one of their last five Premier League games (D1 L3), though it did come last time out at Spurs.
- Southampton have scored in each of their last nine Premier League games – they last found the net in 10 consecutive top-flight matches between September-December 2002 under Gordon Strachan (a run of 12).
- 24 of Southampton’s 36 Premier League games have seen both teams score this season – only Manchester United (25) have had this happen in more.
- A different West Ham player has scored a brace in each of their last three Premier League meetings with Southampton (Javier Hernandez, Marko Arnautovic and Felipe Anderson).
- West Ham’s Michail Antonio is looking to score in three consecutive Premier League matches for the first time since September 2016.
- Shane Long has scored in four of his last five Premier League games for Southampton.
West Ham will want to sign off their last home game of the season with a win whilst Southampton will be keen to make up for their home defeat and their poor performance at the London Stadium last season. That happened in March 2018 when West Ham, rocked by fans protests and in terrible form, stormed to a 3-0 win by halftime.
Southampton have problems in the centre of their defence with probably their best two players in that position out.
West Ham United 2 Southampton 3