Barclays Premier League Weekend Review Part Five: Manager Comments, Team News, Stats, and Predictions.
By Marc Gingell
|01.04.20:00||Emirates Stadium||Arsenal||v||Newcastle||REF: A Taylor|
Arsenal (5) Newcastle (14)
Arsenal’s home form has them in third place just three points behind Liverpool and four behind Manchester City. In fact, on home form, they are nine points in front of Chelsea and Manchester United, and 12 in front of Tottenham. But they have played two more home games than Tottenham and one more than the other two teams chasing 3rd and 4th place.
They’ve just lost one at home, to Manchester City in August, and drawn two against Liverpool and Wolves.
Newcastle on the road have drawn seven which is more than any other team.
Arsenal Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Héctor Bellerín Knee injury. Rob Holding Anterior cruciate ligament. Danny Welbeck Ankle injury.
- Suspended Until 15 Apr: Lucas Torreira.
- 75% Chance of Playing: Konstantinos Mavropanos Knock. Granit Xhaka Thigh injury. Aaron Ramsey Thigh injury.
Newcastle Team News
- Unknown Return Date: Sean Longstaff Knee injury.
- Suspended until 06 Apr: Fabian Schär.
In the battle of two Premier Leagues Spanish managers, Unai Emery and Rafael Benítez, Benítez might just might conjure up something to stop his younger compatriot winning.
Arsenal 2 – 2 Newcastle
- Arsenal have won their last six home Premier League games against Newcastle United, scoring 18 goals and conceding just five.
- Newcastle have lost 11 of their last 12 Premier League matches against Arsenal, winning the other 2-1 at St. James’ Park last season.
- Only against Manchester United (28) have Newcastle lost more Premier League games than against Arsenal (27).
- Arsenal have won all six of their home league matches in 2019 and are one of only three of the 92 English league clubs yet to drop a home point this calendar year, along with Manchester City and Sheffield United.
- This will be Newcastle’s 15th consecutive Premier League game on a Monday away from home – of the previous 14, they’ve won two, drawn one and lost 11.
- Arsenal have won their last nine Premier League home games. They last won more consecutively at home within a single season back in 1997-98 (10).
- Newcastle have lost 17 of their last 23 away Premier League games in London (W3 D3) and are winless in their last six visits to the capital (W0 D2 L4).
- Arsenal’s Mesut Özil has had a hand in four goals in four Premier League games against Newcastle United (3 goals, 1 assist).
- Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez has taken just two points in his seven away Premier League games against Arsenal (P7 W0 D2 L5).
- Alexandre Lacazette has scored 73% of his Premier League goals for Arsenal in home games (19/26). Of the 42 players to have scored 10+ goals in the competition for the Gunners, only Tony Adams scored a higher ratio at home (83%).