Champions League Quarter Final: Heung-Min Son Edges Tottenham In Front As Harry Kane Limps Out. Match Highlights. Manager Comments. Player Ratings & Stats.
By: Marc Gingell
With this game looking like a 0-0 Heung-Min Son collected a through ball from Christian Eriksen inside the Manchester City box right on the touchline. He came back inside, breezed passed Fabian Delph, and fired a left-foot shot from just outside the corner of the six-yard box. It seemed to go straight through Ederson and he would have been very disappointed to have let that in. This sets things up nicely for next week’s Champions League Quarter Final second leg.
|9/4/2019||Tottenham Hotspur Stadium||Tottenham Hotspur||1-0||Manchester City|
|KO: 20:00||ATT: 60,044||Heung-Min Son 78′|
|REF: B Kuipers|
Dele Alli Goes For The Spectacular
Manchester City, with early goals in their last three games, nearly went behind after eight minutes when Dele Alli went for the spectacular from a cross from Moussa Sissoko. Alli, with time and space, went for a first- time volley which he couldn’t keep down. Eriksen stood right next to Alli with space might have done better.
Two Minutes Later
Two minutes later it looked as if normal service would be resumed as Raheem Sterling brilliantly cut in from the left and fired in a shot from just inside the box in line with the penalty spot. Danny Rose blocked with his left arm and referee Kuipers, with the assistance of VAR awarded a penalty. Sergio Agüero stepped up but Hugo Lloris dived the right way, his left, and saved.
Harry Kane’s Ankle Gives Way Again
On 58 minutes Lucas Moura joined the action after Harry Kane came off worse in a tough challenge from Fabian Delph. It looked like another knock on his troublesome ankle that kept him out earlier this year.
Tottenham Advantage And Disadvantage!
When Tottenham were struggling, without Kane, Son stepped up to the plate and became their main man. Since Kane’s return, he’s been quiet except for scoring the opening goal at the new stadium against Crystal Palace. Now Kane, who left the stadium on crutches, could be out for a while which is a negative for Tottenham and the advantage of this home leg win could be a disadvantage for the rest of their season. Unless Son can step up again and turn Kane’s loss, into a positive, as he did a few weeks ago!
Tottenham: Lloris (7), Trippier (6), Alderweireld (8), Vertonghen (7), Rose (7), Sissoko (7), Winks (8), Eriksen (7), Alli (7), Son (8), Kane (6).
Subs: Moura (7), Wanyama (NA), Llorente (NA)
Man City: Ederson (5), Walker (6), Laporte (6), Otamendi (5), Delph (5), Fernandinho (6), Gundogan (6), David Silva (6), Mahrez (5), Sterling (7), Aguero (5)
Subs: Jesus (5), De Bruyne (NA), Sane (NA)
Man of the match: Heung-Min Son
Spurs have progressed to the next round on each of the last nine occasions they’ve won the first leg of a European knockout match (excluding qualifiers).
- Manchester City have lost all five of their European matches against English opposition, including all three in the Champions League.
- Son has scored as many goals in 40 games in all competitions this season for Spurs as he managed in 53 appearances in the whole of 2017-18 (18 goals).
- Tottenham Hotspur have won 13 of their last 16 home matches in all competitions (D1 L2).Aguero has missed more Champions League penalties than any other player since his debut season in the competition in 2008-09 (four).
- Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has saved all three of the penalties he’s faced in all competitions in 2019, saving efforts against Leicester City, Arsenal and Man City tonight.
- Manchester City have been eliminated from all three of their previous Champions League knockout matches when they have lost the first leg.
- There were eight Englishmen in the starting XI for this match – Rose, Trippier, Winks, Alli and Kane for Spurs, Delph, Walker and Sterling for Man City – the most in a Champions League match since the 2008 final between Chelsea and Manchester United (10).
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.