Pattaya One News
Home »
National

Thai teenager ELECTROCUTED by her phone charger

Thai teenager ELECTROCUTED by her phone charger

Girl, 17, is electrocuted when her frayed phone charge cable touched the metal legs of her bed in Thailand

A teenager was electrocuted after charging her phone with a frayed extension cable which touched the metal legs of her bed.

Nong Ying, 17, had been playing on her smartphone while it was plugged into the mains using the damaged lead, which was wrapped with duct tape.

The cable appears to have touched her aluminium bed frame, killing her instantly in Chaiyaphum, northeastern Thailand.

Nong’s mother Boonpeng Tuponchai, 47, returned home and found the teenager lying still in the bedroom.

Boonpeng said she thought that her daughter was asleep and tried to wake her up but she suffered a minor electrical shock when she touched the body.

The mother rushed to the power control and cut the power but her daughter was already dead.

Pictured: Nong's smartphone. Reports say that she was playing with her smartphone on her bed when the damaged lead touched the aluminium bed frame and shocked the 17-year-old girl
Pictured: Nong’s smartphone. Reports say that she was playing with her smartphone on her bed when the damaged lead touched the aluminium bed frame and shocked the 17-year-old girl

Pictured: The power socket attached to Nong's phone. A police captain said that he believed the adapter (pictured) could have 'leaked' on to the bed or floor. He added that investigations were still ongoing
Pictured: The power socket attached to Nong’s phone. A police captain said that he believed the adapter (pictured) could have ‘leaked’ on to the bed or floor. He added that investigations were still ongoing

Pictured: the phone charge lead wrapped in duct tape. The mother said that she rushed to shut off the power but her daughter had already passed away
Pictured: the phone charge lead wrapped in duct tape. The mother said that she rushed to shut off the power but her daughter had already passed away

She had burns on her left hand, believed to have been from where she was holding the handset.

Investigating officer Police Captain Khanti Peansoongnern blamed an old power strip that had been repaired several times for causing an electric shock.

He said the girl was electrocuted after she accidentally touched the metal bed frame which had come into contact with the electrical current.

This image shows the foot of Nong's bed where it is suspected that her phone cable connected with the aluminium frame
This image shows the foot of Nong’s bed where it is suspected that her phone cable connected with the aluminium frame

Captain Khanti said: ‘I think the old power strip provided an electrical leakage which ran to the bed, either through the soil on the ground, or directly touching the metal.

‘The girl might have then accidentally have touched the bed’s edge which is metal and she was electrocuted.

‘However, we need to collect evidence from the scene and examine the body for the post mortem examination before we can confirm her cause of death, will not rule anything out at this stage.’