There have been fresh NEW WARNINGS after a 32-year-old man in Surin has died from rabies. Safety guidelines have now been issued as this was the first person this year to die of the illness.
Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai who is the Disease Control Department director-general had not revealed the name of the man who had been bitten in November by a stray dog. All we know is that the man failed to seek an anti-rabies vaccination after he was bitten.
Suwannachai said, the man had then developed a fever and had difficulties swallowing before lab tests then confirmed he had rabies.
he advised, “If a cat or a dog scratches or bites you or licks your wound, you have to promptly clean the wound with soap and water repeatedly for about 10 minutes,”
“Then add Povidone-iodine [betadine] to lower the chance of rabies infection and see a doctor immediately for diagnosis and vaccination.”
Once you are vaccinated, you must continue to consult with a doctor as per appointments.
“It’s also crucial that the animal be monitored for any strange symptoms or it dies within 10 days,” he said.
Dr Suwannachai has also said, people should avoid provoking animals at all costs as then it minimizes the risk of being scratched or bitten and to take care to avoid stepping on any part of them.
Please never try to break up a cat or dog fight with your bare hands or take away any food they may be eating. Also, try to avoid all contact with unknown animals.
Dr Suwannachai has urged people to have all their pets vaccinated yearly, to which local administrative bodies will administer for free as from March to June.
More details are available from the department’s hotline, 1422