Manchester United Confirm Ole Gunnar Solskjær As Their New Boss
By Marc Gingell
28th March 2019
When Manchester United, first paraded interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær as the replacement for the ‘Special One’ José Mourinho, more than a few eyebrows were raised. As ex-United players go he might not have been at the top of many fans wish lists. Players who might have featured include:
- Ryan Giggs
- Paul Scholes
- Gary Neville
- Steve Bruce
- David Beckham
- Roy Keane
- Bryan Robson
All big names but not as big as Ole Gunnar Solskjær! The chosen one on a three-year contract.
Back Up Team
With Sir Alex, in the stands and now and again in the dressing room, plus Sir Alex’s former assistant Micky Phelan sat next to him on the bench, Solskjær has some wise heads to turn to. Plus of course the vastly experienced Michael Carrick.
Who Should Solskjær Sign?
The defence might need a complete makeover with only David de Gea safe. Ashley Young, although a revelation at fullback, will be 34 in July. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, and Eric Bailly might not quite have it within them to help United to the next level. Luke Shaw might also need someone to push him at left back.
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka. Crystal Palace Full Back. Age 21.
- Harry Maguire. Leicester Centre Half. Age 26.
- Declan Rice. West Ham Centre Half/Holding Central Midfielder. Age 20.
- James Tarkowski. Burnley Centre Half. Age 26.
- Ben Chilwell. Leicester. Full Back. Age 22.
All five players mentioned are part of England’s young contingent and in further forward positions a few other names include:
- Jadon Sancho. Borussia Dortmund Midfield. Age 19.
- Callum Hudson-Odoi. Chelsea. Midfield. Age 18.
- James Ward-Prowse. Southampton. Midfield. Age 24.
- David Brooks. Bournemouth. Midfield. Age 21.
- Raúl Jiménez. Wolves. Forward. Age 27.
With the exception of Mexican Jiménez they’re all English.
It might take three to four transfer windows to get all the pieces Solskjær needs in play.
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.