Manchester United Start The New Ole Gunnar Solskjær Era Off With A Win But Watford Push Them All The Way – Highlights. Manager Comments. Player Ratings & Stats.
By Marc Gingell
|30.03. 15:00||Old Trafford||
|REF: S Attwell|
|ATT: 74,543||Marcus Rashford 28′||Abdoulaye Doucouré 90′|
|Anthony Martial 72′|
Marcus Rashford – 10th Premier League Goal
If Ole Gunnar Solskjær is to enjoy success at Old Trafford then Marcus Rashford will be one of his key players. In the 28th minute, after a fine defence-splitting pass from Luke Shaw, he calmly scored his 10th Premier League goal of the season. Of those seven have come in twelve starts for Solskjær. He’s clearly enjoying life at Old Trafford.
Anthony Martial – 10th Premier League Goal
The same applies to Anthony Martial who also scored his 10th Premier League goal against Watford. This came in the 72nd minute when he turned in Jesse Lingard’s cross from the right. It was a bit scrappy but he managed to force the ball in.
Rashford is 21 and Martial 23. They both could be scoring goals at Old Trafford for a very long time.
Watford No Push Over.
Watford, who pulled a deserved goal back in the 90th minute from Abdoulaye Doucouré, were unlucky not to get more from this game. They are a good compact side who should finish in 7th or 8th place. They also have a FA Cup semi-final looming against Wolves.
Manchester United: De Gea (6), Young (6), Smalling (7), Jones (7), Shaw (8), Herrera (5), Matic (5), Pogba (5), Mata (5), Martial (7), Rashford (7)
Subs: Lingard (6), Pereira (5), Rojo (5)
Watford: Foster (5), Janmaat (5), Britos (6), Kabasele (6), Masina (5), Capoue (6), Hughes (6), Doucoure (7), Pereyra (6), Deulofeu (7), Deeney (7)
Subs: Femenia (5), Success (5), Gray (5)
Man of the match: Luke Shaw
Manchester United have won 11 of their 12 Premier League matches against Watford, losing the other in September 2016.
- Watford are winless in all 12 away league visits to Manchester United (W0 D2 L10). In top-flight history, the only team to play more away matches against Manchester United without winning than Watford (12) are Luton Town (15 matches between 1955 and 1991).
- Watford have lost each of their last 14 Premier League away games against ‘big-six’ sides, since a 2-1 win against Arsenal in January 2017.
- This is the first time since the 1995-96 season (Scholes, Cole, Giggs, Cantona) that Man Utd have had four players score 10+ goals in a single Premier League campaign (Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Pogba).
- Since his debut for Manchester United in February 2016, Marcus Rashford has scored 45 goals for the club in all competitions, more than any other player.
- Man Utd’s Anthony Martial has been directly involved in four goals in his last three Premier League starts versus Watford (three goals, one assist).
- Man Utd goalkeeper David de Gea made seven saves in this match – only versus Spurs in August 2011 (9) and versus Liverpool in December 2014 (8) has he made more in a Premier League game at Old Trafford.
Man Utd’s Luke Shaw has provided three assists in the Premier League this season, one more than he registered in his previous four campaigns in the competition for the Red Devils combined (2)
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.