Liverpool Back On Top! Mo Salah Exocet Missile Helps Down Chelsea. Match Highlights. Player Ratings. Manager Comments, And Stats.
By: Marc Gingell
Liverpool, after being knocked off the top of the Premier League table just before their late kick-off against Chelsea, were back on top 90 minutes later thanks to a Sadio Mané header and Mo Salah Exocet missile. But Eden Hazard missed two chances that you would expect him to take which could have meant Chelsea sharing a point!
|KO:16:30||ATT: 53,279||Sadio Mané 51′|
|REF: M Oliver||Mohamed Salah 53|
Two – 2 Minute Periods – Define This Game.
Eden Hazard – Big Chances
In a game, where big players stood up to be counted, one who normally does didn’t! On 59 minutes Eden Hazard found himself free in the Liverpool penalty box after being put through. With Allison rushing out, and Hazard more or less on the penalty spot, his shot beat the keeper but bounced back off the post. A minute later, in space in the box again, Hazard totally mistimed his shot straight at Allison. From that point on the clearly disappointed Hazard, seemed to disappear from the game.
51st and 53rd Minutes
Prior to Hazard fluffing his lines, Mo Salah came up with a wonder goal in the 53rd minute. In the previous game at Southampton, he’d ended his goal drought with his six second solo special. In this game, he reiterated that with something quite different but just as spectacular.
Out on the right, he brushed off the attentions of Chelsea defender Emerson and found himself a yard of space about 25 yards out. On the angle of the 18 yard box. Before Chelsea could close him down he rifled a shot that flew like an Exocet missile into the top corner of Kepa Arrizabalaga’s net. A definite contender for goal of the season.
That put Chelsea 2-0 up after Sadio Mané had headed home two minutes earlier after good work by Jordan Henderson on the Liverpool ‘s right.
Liverpool Final Fixtures
- Sunday 21st April. KO 16:00 Cardiff v Liverpool.
- Friday 26th April. KO 20:00 Liverpool v Huddersfield.
- Sunday 5th May. KO 16:30 Newcastle v Liverpool.
- Sunday 12th May KO 15:00 Liverpool v Wolves.
Liverpool: Alisson (8), Alexander-Arnold (7), Matip (7), Van Dijk (8), Robertson (8), Henderson (8), Fabinho (7), Keita (7), Mane (8), Firmino (7), Salah (8).
Subs: Milner (6), Wijnaldum (6), Origi (n/a)
Chelsea: Kepa (6), Azpilicueta (5), Luiz (6), Rudiger (6), Emerson (5), Jorginho (6), Kante (6), Loftus-Cheek (6), Willian (5), Hudson-Odoi (5), Hazard (7).
Subs: Christensen (6), Barkley (5), Higuain (5).
Man of the Match: Jordan Henderson
- Chelsea have lost their last six away Premier League matches against fellow ‘big six’ opponents, conceding 16 goals across those defeats.
- This was Liverpool’s 26th Premier League victory of the season, equalling their record from the 2013-14 campaign under Brendan Rodgers. They last won more in a top-flight season in 1978-79 (30 wins).
- Sadio Mane has scored 21 goals in all competitions this season – his best tally in a season for an English side.
- Aged 18 years and 158 days, Callum Hudson-Odoi became the youngest Chelsea player to start three consecutive Premier League games.
- Since the start of last season, Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah has scored more goals in all competitions than any other Premier League player (66).
If you have any questions or comments please follow the links below. And, if you would like to like or share, that would be appreciated. Thank you.