Pattaya One News
Home » Covid fears lead to death of young mum
International

Covid fears lead to death of young mum

A MUM suffering from a severe mouth abscess accidentally died by overdosing on painkillers after refusing to go the dentist over Covid fears.

Alexandria Pierce-Baddeley, 29, was worried about getting the virus because of her previous medical conditions – so she instead treated the painful abscess herself.

She was found dead on her bed at home in Winsford, Cheshire on May 1 by her mum after she inadvertently took a fatal level of tablets mixed with a large quantity of alcohol.

It was revealed during her final hours the teaching assistant had texted a photograph of her medication to her ex-boyfriend saying: ”In 20 minutes I won’t be able to move.”

Police investigated the death as a possible suicide – but the theory was later ruled out.

Her nine-year-old daughter was not thought to be at her home at the time.

An inquest heard Miss Pierce-Baddeley was as ”vibrant and happy” assistant at a special needs school.

Her mouth ulcer appeared in the days before her death – but she refused to go to the dentist, fearing she’d contract Covid because of her history of bulimia and previous hospital admissions for hepatitis, sepsis and pneumonia.

In a statement read to the Warrington hearing her mum Angela Dutton said: ”Just recently she had developed a large abscess but would not venture out to seek treatment because she was fearful of the Covid-19 pandemic and the high risk it posed to her.

“Instead she was treating herself at home with painkillers and applying a homemade turmeric paste to the affected area.”

The mum explained that the 29-year-old’s abscess was large and would have been visible if she showed it to anyone.

She also said that she had been in a lot of pain for six days before her death.

She added: ”On May 1, I called at her home as I had not heard from her during the day and neither had anyone else.

“Alexandria did not answer the door so I let myself in, shouted her and got no response. I went upstairs and as I got the top and I saw Alexandria lying across the bed.

“I thought at first she was asleep – but when I got closer I realised something was not right.

”There was no evidence of suicide – all I found in her bedroom was empty glass, a bowel for the turmeric and a packet of painkillers.

”All her prescription medication was downstairs and in order. There were no empty packets or sleeves in the bins.

“I genuinely believe any overdose was purely accidental and not deliberate.”

She added that Alexandria loved her family – especially her daughter – and that she had a large circle of friends around her.

The 29-year-old seemed to be in good spirits the previous night and was clapping for the NHS with her neighbours.

The mum added: “She was not the type to take her own life – had she made that decision she would have written a letter explaining why.”

TRAGIC END

Alexandria was “devoted” to her daughter and always wanted to be there for her, the mum said.

She added: ”When I found Alexandria she had just showered, put on clean pyjamas, her make-up was done and she had rinsed her mouth with turmeric to ease the abscess and probably took more pain relief.

“She then fell asleep and didn’t wake up. Presumably, her body gave up.”

Miss Pierce-Baddeley’s ex-boyfriend Paul Johnson confirmed he had ended the couple’s ten year relationship just a day before her death and that evening at 10pm received a series of text messages from her.

Mr Johnson said in his statement: ”I never called police as I had come to expect this kind of behaviour from Alex in the past.

“She had previously threatened to take her own life but the threats never felt real and she did it a few times. The following morning I called her but got no answer and was not able to contact her.”

Coroner Heath Westerman said: ”There was much for Alexandra to live for and her mother states she does not believe her daughter would have taken her own life without making any necessary arrangements.

”Due to the large abscess she was suffering from, she was perhaps treating that by over-using her own medication along with the consumption of alcohol.

“She was fearful of catching Covid and therefore that is an indication that she did not want her life to end.

”I believe the consumption of alcohol and painkillers was not done with the intent to end her life but was done by means of coping with Covid 19 and the large abscess she was suffering from in her mouth.

“She had suffered in the days before and would not visit the dentist due to Covid-19.

“Misfortune took its place and sadly it led to her death.”

sunit